Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Wedding bells...

I had to do a quick run to the store this morning for some red lentils. I walked to the Indian grocer nearby and was looking around for the lentils and happened to overhear a conversation between another customer and the lady boss. The customer, an Indian lady who was around 50 years of age was lamenting that her husband has been telling her that he wished that she would die soon and that he will have peace only with her(the wife) dead! I was totally revolted and disgusted with this.

My blood must have reached boiling point. I dont know what the problem is between the couple but it is definitely not a pleasant thing to have your partner wishing you were dead and telling you to go and die soon. The woman must have cooked, cleaned, made love, bore his children and tended to his needs since the day she got married. And the gratitude she gets in return is simply great. What kind of a world are we living in to have not even have an ounce of compassion to a person you married and promised to cherish till the time you pass on?

Why do people get married in the first place? If it is just for sex or to have someone to clean the house and have your children etc, there are many other ways which do not involve a legal bind. Marriage should only be when one feels that their life begins each day when they wake up and see their loved one by their side, and they pray that for the rest of their lives their loved one will stand by their side to fight and conquer everything that comes their way.

On a side note, my mother is getting desperate to have me married off. When I see things like the above conversation, sometimes I wonder if I do want to get married in the first place and to bring children into a world that is getting worse each day.

I am totally confused right now and its scary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh..Rathi,
Do not be scared because of some bad fishes ..! In all marriages... there are ups and downs.
Many enter a marriage for different reasons. But you .. my dear. must enter it .. with your eyes wide open.