Thursday, July 07, 2005

I went out to top-up my ezlink card earlier. As I was sitting in the bus, an Indian expat and his son(around5-6 years old) boarded. The little boy had a grumpy look on his face and they sat on the seat adjacent to mine so I could hear every word of their conversation clearly. The father was advising his son to be 'friends' with everyone to which the boy replied that the particular child refused to play with him and he didn't want to be friends.
This charming line of conversation went on for quite a while. What caught my attention and also gave me a sense of longing deep down was the casual tone the father had set for the child. He said that even if someone didnt want to befriend him(the child) he should be friends with everyone and if someone doesnt talk to him, he can always go to someone else and play. This I think plays an important role in how a child perceives the world and the person the child grows up to become. Sadly, I never received this form of support from my parents. They have done a lot for me, but in terms of emotional wellbeing and self-esteem, I didnt get much from them.
The father ended the conversation asking the boy if he considered him as a friend(father and son), to which the boy immediately gave a bright smile and gave his father high fives. I definitely know something now. When I have a child, I will try my best to give him or her a high sense of self-esteem. Sometimes, a few words can really go a long way...

No comments: